Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
Sections
You are here: Home Volume VI August 2007 Hot Tips: How do you control your nitrates and phosphates?

Hot Tips: How do you control your nitrates and phosphates?

By Advanced Aquarist's Readers Posted Aug 14, 2007 08:00 PM Pomacanthus Publications, Inc.
This month, our readers give their feedback controlling their nutrient levels.

A selection of useful tidbits of information and tricks for the marine aquarist submitted by Advanced Aquarist's readership. Readers are encouraged to post them to our Hot Tips sticky in the Reefs.org General Reefkeeping Discussion forum or send their tips to terry@advancedaquarist.com for possible publication. This month's Hot Tip theme is "Tips for would-be in-wall tank builders."

Hot Tips: How do you control your nitrates and phosphates?

I rely mostly on my skimmer (pulls out the gunk that builds up nitrates) and water changes for the nitrates. But I also use macro algae (chaetomorpha) in my refugium and it's growing well and seems to be helping.

nitrate.jpg

Nitrate molecule.

I don't have much phosphate control, really, except for using RO water and doing water changes.

Submitted by: bleedingthought

I dont handle them myself, the bacteria and water changes handle the phosphates and nitrates.

Submitted by: wetworx101

I use macroalgae also, but because it is so much better at removing nitrate, I do get build up of PO4. I use a PO4 adsorber (Rhowphos or whatever is on sale) when the tanks need it.

phosphate.jpg

Phosphate molecule.

Submitted by: SeahorseWhisperer

Lots of flow, big skimmer and water changes using RO/DI water.

Submitted by: Wazzel

Macro in the fuge, big skimmer, RO/DI with kalk for the make-up water, RO-DI for water change water, monthly 20% water changes and liverock.

That and a relatively light fish load. I have 12 fish in my 300G tank. 7 of the 12 are small fish (6 anthias, 1 false perc).

Submitted by: Louey

I'm with Louey. But I always have a bag of Rowa Phos "PO4 & SiO2 adsorber in my sump. Even though my tank often test negative for PO4, It gives me a head start.

Submitted by: pcardone

I actively use Caulerpa to clear water. The function of Caulerpa is to create photosynthisis which will oxygenate the water, and also fixation of Nitrates and Phosphates into plant biomass. Therefore it is important to keep the Caulerpa trimmed which will help remove excess nutrients.

Submitted by:  Andrey Ospin

When running my larger tanks, I used a large turf scrubber to help with any phosphates or nitrate. In my current 45 cube, I just try keep the detritus cleaned up and run PhosBan.

Submitted by: D.W.L.

Caulerpa and PO4 remover, RODI for topoff via a kalkstirrer, and NSW for water changes.

Submitted by: andy37