Reefkeeping Events: What's Happening in Your Area?
Do you have an upcoming event?
If so, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know about it!
Cincinnati Reefkeepers Annual Frag Swap, October 18
Saturday October 18, 2008 from 10am to 3pm
Where: The Underground, 1140 Smiley Ave., Forest Park, OH 45240 (map)
Phone: (513)221- 4888
Admission: $5; Frag Swap attendants with more than 15 items will be charged a $25 entrance fee.
More Info: http://www.cincyreef.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=46
We are pleased to introduce Mark Vera from Aqua-Tech Co. Mark will be giving two talks during the day:
- Adding refugia to your reportoire, how to design and build a refugium
- A plethora of plankton, how to culture phytoplankton at home.
Mark Vera has been keeping marine aquariums since 1991 during which he has worked in many capacities of the aquarium business. He has also worked on various personal and public research projects and spent two years breeding H. reidi. Being an active Divemaster Mark travels extensively diving lakes, rivers, and oceans throughout the world. Between travels Mark owns and operates a specialty aquarium installation and service company as well as volunteering his diving and husbandry skills at the John G. Shedd Aquarium. Mark is also the creator of the Phyto2 and Zoo2 product lines and continues research on the value of Plankton in the captive aquarium.
Stop by to share or gain knowledge of reef keeping and buy, sell, or trade coral frags!
Check out local vendors and club sponsors!
Free raffle ticket to win a multitude of door prizes when you pay the $5 admission fee!
Plus main raffle!!!
We look forward to seeing you there!
New Jersey Reefers Club 2008 Fall Frag Swap & Symposium, October 25
When: October 25, 2008, 10 AM to 6 PM
Where: Crown Plaza Secaucus, 2 Harmon Plaza 07904, Secaucus, NJ (info, map)
Admission: Before October 1st: $25; After October 1st: $30; $40 at the door. 15 and under are free.
Schedule of Events:
- 9:00 - Vendor Setup
- 10:00 - Doors open
- 11:00 - Guest Speaker
- 12:00 - Lunch/Fragging Demo
- 1:30 - Guest Speaker
- 3:00 - Guest Speaker
- 4:30 - HUGE Raffles
- 6:00 - Cleanup
- Dana Riddle
- Charles Mazel
- Eric Borneman
Admission includes access to:
- Huge Raffles
- Drygoods vendors
- Livestock vendors
- NY Style Deli lunch buffet, snacks, soft drinks
Second Annual Oklahoma City Conference for Reef Aquarists and Saltwater Enthusiasts (CRASE), October 25
When: October 25, 2008, 10 AM to 6 PM
Where: University Central Oklahoma Conference Center
Admission: Adult tickets are $15 each for general admission, $25 with prepaid gourmet box lunch. Children are $10 each for general admission, $20 with prepaid gourmet box lunch.
After the fabulous success of CRASE 2007, Aquariums Tropical Fish Supply and the Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society are pleased to announce the second annual Oklahoma City Conference for Reef Aquarists and Saltwater Enthusiasts (CRASE). This will be a single day event and will comprise keynote lectures by distinguished speakers in the area of saltwater aquariums. In addition, the President of COMAS, Dr. Paul Whitby, will be discussing aquascaping. There will also be a hobbyist frag sale, vendor and trade displays as well as numerous door prizes.
The list of prizes is beginning to take shape, please remember to stop by and check as it grows. For now, here are a few of the door prizes we will have:
- Gift Certificates to Aquarium Oddballs
- Gift Certificates to Aquariums Tropical Fish Supply
- Gift Certificates to Zoanuts
- And the Grand Prize this year is: A complete 75gallon Reefready system. This comprises a 75g All Glass mega flow tank (Donated by Aquariums) a custom built Oak Stand and Canopy, 2 4 foot T5 lights, return pump, plumbing for the overflows and a sump. The stand and canopy are not stained so that you can match the system to your house decor. This prize is worth over $1,500.
Guest speakers will be:
- Dr. Ron Shimek: Firstly, it is with great pleasure that the organizers of CRASE wish to announce that --after a great deal of requests from COMAS members---Dr. Ron Shimek will be returning to CRASE. Dr. Shimek will be discussing invertebrates used as clean up crews, commonly available and some not so commonly available. His talk will encompass the pros- the cons- the dos and the don'ts.
- Adam Mangino: The second presenter is a new face to the CRASE. Adam Mangino is one of the ORA team and is primarily involved with their captive breeding program and in particular he is responsible for the hybridization to create the indigo dottyback. He will be talking on captive breeding of marine ornamentals.
- Dr. Sanjay Joshi: Also new to the CRASE is one of the most respected names in reef tank lighting. Dr. Sanjay Joshi has published numerous articles on spectral qualities of bulbs and the effect of various reflectors. It is fair to say the level of expertise he will be bringing to the CRASE is outstanding and I very much look forward to meting him. Dr. Joshi will be discussing various options in reef lighting with particular respect to both T5 and MH technology.
- Dr. Paul W. Whitby: Dr. Whitby is President of the Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society (COMAS) and has over 20 years experience as a saltwater hobbyist. Dr. Whitby will be discussing aquascaping techniques.
Boston Reef Society and The Salt Water Addicts of Maine Coral Frag Farmers Market, October 26
When: October 26, 12 PM - 3:30 PM
Where: VFW Post 168, 238 Deer Street, Portsmouth, NH 03801 (map)
Admission: $20 per tank charge for a 2-10 gallon tank, and $30 per tank charge for anything larger
More Information: http://bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58988
The Boston Reef Society (BRS) and The Salt Water Addicts of Maine (SWAM) are joining forces for their October meeting and having a Coral Frag Farmers Market at the VFW Hall in Portsmouth, NH at 238 Deer Street on Sunday Oct 26th, from 12:00 noon to 3:30 PM. There will be a $20 per tank charge for a 2-10 gallon tank, and $30 per tank charge for anything larger. The market place will be for tank raised stuff only. Members will need to bring their own tank/water/lighting system. There will also be a standard frag swap for anyone interested.
Louisville Marine Aquarium Society, November 1
When: November 1, 1 PM - 4 PM
Where: Falls Of The Ohio State Park, 201 West Riverside Dr., Clarksville IN 47129 (map)
More Information: http://www.lmas.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=54
The LMAS 2nd annual frag swap is just a few weeks away. Please do what you can to spread the word. We would like to see a good turn out again for the swap. Last years was great.
Southern Maryland Marine Aquarium Society Fourth Annual Reef Symposium, November 8
When: November 8, 10 AM - 5 PM
Where: Calvert Marine Museum, P.O. Box 97, Solomons, MD 20688 (map)
Admission: Adult ticket price is only $20, $15 for SMMAS members, $10 for students 12-18, and $4 for children under 12.
More Information: http://www.smmas.org/
The Southern Maryland Marine Aquarium Society (www.smmas.org) is proud to host the Fourth Annual Southern Maryland Reef Symposium featuring noted speakers Tullio Dell Aquila of Aquatic Research & Development and Dr. Mac of Pacific East. This event will be held Saturday, November 8th, 2008 at the Calvert Marine Museum from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm located in Solomon’s, Maryland.
Mr. Dell Aquila has pioneered LED lighting in the aquarium trade and is head of new product development and founding partner of Aquatic Research and Development located in Utica, New York. ARAD is a contract manufacturer and developer of aquarium products for a few of the top companies in the aquarium trade specializing in advanced high power solid state lighting systems. Tullio has spent over a decade focusing on the importance of proper lighting techniques for aquariums and developing much of the technology they are now producing today. He will be unveiling the latest in LED technology as well as his newest invention, for the first time at this show!
Dr. Mac, a Board Certified veterinarian is well known in the hobby and has been a reef hobbyist for 40 years. His business, Pacific East is the number one livestock vendor in the nation over the last seven years and is the first and only State Certified Marine Aquaculture Facility in Maryland. He will be speaking on his Solomon Island Mariculture Project.
The adult ticket price is only $20, $15 for SMMAS members, $10 for students 12-18, and $4 for children under 12. Included in this price is admission to the Calvert Marine Museum featuring wildlife from the Chesapeake Bay, a petting area of rays, interactive displays, as well as the history of the Chesapeake. Check out their website, www.calvertmarinemuseum.com for directions and all the activities that are available.
The doors open at 10:00am; check in at the front desk to receive your Reef Symposium passes and admission stickers for the museum. Tour the museum and enjoy the “saltwater” tank displays of the local Chesapeake Bay (who knew seahorses lived in the Chesapeake?), there is so much to see and do here you may want to join the museum and come back again!
There will be plenty of food for everyone as well as one of the best Marine Aquarium raffles in the state, Lighting Systems, Skimmers, Custom Sumps, Bio-Cube 8 gallon tanks, and Gift Certificates are just a few of the raffle items! Vendors will also be on hand selling live coral as well as dry goods at very reasonable prices.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email email@example.com
Please send payment through PAYPAL (www.payal.com) -- to email address firstname.lastname@example.org include your name, address and phone number so you can be reached if needed, in the subject line type "SMMAS Reef Symposium tickets" or just pay at the door!
Schedule of events:
- 10:00 – 11:00 Doors open, tour the museum, view raffle prizes/buy raffle tickets (all raffle tickets are only $1), view/buy items from vendors selling wet and dry goods, and socialize. Door prizes will be handed out to random guest as they arrive.
- 11:00 – 12:15 Dr. Mac will give his presentation.
- 12:15 – 1:30 Lunch, socializing, vendors and raffle tickets will be available during this time also.
- 1:30 – 2:45 Mr. Dell Aquila will give his presentation.
- 2:45 -3:15 Short break and the last call for raffle tickets.
- 3:15 – 4:30 Raffle prize drawing!
- 4:30 – 5:00 Closing remarks, socializing with our speakers, and clean up
The Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County's Second Annual F.R.A.G. Swap, December 6
Here’s what you can count on at F.R.A.G. 2008:
- SPS, LPS, Zoanthids, Softies, Hardware and just about anything else you could want for your aquarium, sold by fellow hobbyists and well-known vendors
- Presentations and demonstrations from hobby experts
- Tons of prizes raffled off
- Great food from local vendors
- Hot deals!! (What’s the point in a swap if you can have it delivered to your door from the latest Ultra-Mega-Reef-Farm-Warehouse-Superstore for less?)
- A wonderful time!!
Attention all reefers north of Ventura County – Now you don’t have to drive 3 hours to attend a Swap!! Amenities:
- A warehouse with electrical outlets galore!
- Free Wi-Fi (PayPal!!)
- Plenty of free parking
We need your help!!
- We need some of the local growers/backyard hobbyists who are dedicated to promoting this hobby because they love it and want to share (you know who you are).
- Spread the word! This is the BEST way to stock your tank!
- F.R.A.G. 2008 is also open to commercial vendors. Visit the vendor sign up page for information on reserving a booth.
Dallas / Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society's Next Wave 2009, January 24, 2009
When: January 24, 2009, 9 AM - 5 PM
Where: Fort Worth Botanic Garden, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd., Ft. Worth, TX 76107 (map)
Admission: $25 until November 1
More Information: http://www.dfwmas.org/nextwave2009/registration.html
Everyone is encouraged to attend Next Wave 2009! -- Think of this conference as going to Reef Keeping College for a day. Four speakers are being flown in to instruct attendees on successful saltwater care. After each presentation, which will be in the form of slides, PowerPoint, or video, attendees can ask questions from the speakers about the subject being discussed. Don't miss your chance to gain knowledge that will last you a lifetime!
Speakers for this great event are:
- Bob Fenner- The pros and cons of hitchhikers in the reef aquarium
- Eric Borneman - The sustainablity of our hobby
- Bruce Carlson - Reef Life in the Solomon Islands, a video presentation
- Jake Adams - Water Flow is More Important Than Light
The day will end with our famous Raffle, and we are sure you won't want to miss that! Raffle tickets will be for sale during the lunch session and before the raffle.
We are accepting your reservations now. If you wait, the prices will increase as follows:
- October 1st to November 1st: $25
- November 1st to December 1st: $30
- December 1st to January 1st: $35
- January 1st to the event: $40
So register online now and save up to $15. Not enough to convince you to come? Here's pictures and info from Next Wave 2005! So register now!!!
Marine Aquarium Expo, April 3-5, 2009
When: Friday, April 3 - Sunday, April 5; 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Where: OC Fair & Event Center, 88 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 (map)
Admission: $10 for Adults, $5 for Seniors, and FREE for Children 12 and under
Marine Aquarium Expo” (MAX), is southern California’s premier indoor consumer-tradeshow, bringing together manufacturers, retailers, and saltwater enthusiasts from all over the nation into one giant, centralized location. More than 100 booths fill 22,000 square feet of exhibitor floor space plus another 7,000 sq. ft. of covered courtyard to accommodate speakers, raffle drawings, Club booths, and various workshops. MAX is the perfect venue to see the latest innovative products and offerings as well as the most progressive enterprises in the marine aquarium business. MAX is a spectacular marketplace for selling/trading of livestock, equipment, supplies, and various other goods. Literally THOUSANDS of coral frags are available for sale from the dozens of livestock exhibitors attending Marine Aquarium Expo. We invite you to bring the entire family to see what the excitement is all about. MAX is an event that you do NOT want to miss!
- Two Full Days of festivities, trade, and entertainment! Do not miss this event!
- Giant Market of Manufacturers, Wholesalers, Retailers, Hobbyists and more!
- Livestock Dealers selling corals, frags, fish, invertebrates, and more
- Courtyard classes provides a wealth of entertainment and learning experiences
- Many booths, workshops, and educational displays represented by clubs and charities
- Huge Drawing both days with many, many, Major Prizes to WIN!
- Manufacturers showcasing the latest equipment, products and services available!
- Six Speakers from all over the United States come to demonstrate, educate, and inspire
MACNA XXI, September 25-27, 2009
The 21st Marine & Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA XXI) has been announced! Your destination city for this industry leading event is Atlantic City, NJ. This must attend event will be held September 25-27, 2009.
Join us for a weekend near the beautiful beaches of Atlantic City where the excitement never stops. September and NJ beaches are a winning combination. The weather is still warm and the water temperatures are perfect. If beaches aren't your thing, there is plenty of shopping, casinos, energizing spas, shows and concerts, endless nightlife, fine dining, boardwalk, golf, attractions, fishing, and water sports to keep you well entertained for the entire week after the show.
The convention hotel is the Sheraton, Atlantic City located at 2 Miss America Way and attached to the convention center via an enclosed walkway. Hotel rooms are being held under MACNA XXI for special convention rates of $139 with discounted parking (though if you're not coming in by car you don't need to rent one to get around town). These rates are greatly discounted from their normal weekend rates. Be sure to use the room block when reserving your room.
To make reservations, use the Sheraton Hotel Reservation System.