Reefkeeping Events: What's Happening in Your Area?
Do you have an upcoming event?
If so, please email us at email@example.com and let us know about it!
Bay Area Marine Aquarium Conference, November 23
When: 11am to 5pm - Sunday November 23rd
Where: 2143 South 10th Street, San Jose, 95112, Close to the 87/280/85 and the San Jose Fair Grounds (map)
Website: www.TheBAYMAC.com (site will be up by this weekend)
Join us 11 am to 5pm Sunday November 23rd 2008 in San Jose, CA for the first annual BAYMAC - Bay Area Marine Aquarium Conference serving the Central and Northern California reef communities. This first event will be FREE for everyone to attend and to participate. You don't need to be a member of a reef club to attend. All skill levels and all ages are encouraged to attend.
- Frag sales supporting regional Reef clubs: BAR - Bay Area Reefers, NCNRS - Northern California Nano Reef Society, CVR - Central Vally Reefers, and NVR - North Valley Reefers will have aquariums with coral frags & supplies for sale. All proceeds of these sales go to supporting the respective club.
- Private Frag sales: Other non club affiliated sellers welcome as well Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details or visit www.thebaymac.com/nonclubfragsales08.
- Guest Speakers: Jake Adams (Flow Dynamics and flow devices explained), Rich Ross (Coral collections in Tonga) and Randy Reed (Feeding your reef) For bio's and more details please visit www.thebaymac.com/speakers08.
- Reef Gear Flea Market: Got extra reef gear lying around, come sell it for CASH!! Come sell your used reef aquarium related gear. Space is limited so please show up right before 11am to ensure you receive a spot. For more details please visit www.thebaymac.com/usedgearswap08 or contact email@example.com.
- Manufacturers on hand to answer your questions.
- Raffle: Donations from companies like Reef Nutrition, CPR, United Pet Group (Marine Land, Tetra, etc), TAAM (Rio, SEIO, etc), and more. All proceeds will be split between BAR, NCNRS, NVR, and CVR equally.
The Manhattan Reefs Fall Frag Swap 2008, November 23
When: Sunday, November 23, 10 AM - 6 PM
Where: Pace University - Downtown Manhattan - Student Union
- Ken Feldman, Professor of Chemistry, Penn State University: "Dissolved Organic Carbon in the Reef Aquarium: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
- Kevin Gaines: "Apples, Oranges and Hot Potatoes: Why are short supply chain (SSC) fish better?"
Schedule of Events:
- 8:00A-10:00 - Vendor Setup
- 10:00 - 11:00 - Doors Open
- 11:00 - 12:00 - Guest Speaker - Ken Feldman
- 12:00 - 1:00 - MR Livestock Auction
- 1:00 - 2:00 - Lunch Served
- 2:00 - 3:00 - Fragging Demonstration
- 3:00 - 4:00 - Guest Speaker - Kevin Gaines
- 4:00 - 4:30 - Raffle
- 4:30 - 6:00 - Auction
- 6:00 - 8:00 - Cleanup
And as usual, admission includes:
- Manhattan Reefs Frag Auction
- Free Raffle Tickets
- Reef Pest Inspection Station
- Equipment manufacturers
- Livestock vendors
- Several group buys
- Food, snacks, soft drinks
- Baggies, rubber bands, warmed saltwater
Vendor Tables are still available, if you are interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Idaho Marine Aquairum Society's Annual Christmas Party and Raffle, December 5
When: Friday, December 5, 2008, 7:00 PM
Where: Fuddruckers, 1666 S Entertainment Ave, Boise, Idaho 83709 (Next to Edward 24 Cinemas) (map)
Topic: Christmas part & Chinese Raffle!!!
Come out and have some holiday fun with the fat jolly man himself and the lovely and gracious Mrs. Claus. There will be lots of prizes and coral to be raffled off so bring the kids and family come and enjoy the fun...
The Marine Aquarium Society of Ventura County's Second Annual F.R.A.G. Swap, December 6
Here’s what you can count on at F.R.A.G. 2008:
- SPS, LPS, Zoanthids, Softies, Hardware and just about anything else you could want for your aquarium, sold by fellow hobbyists and well-known vendors
- Presentations and demonstrations from hobby experts
- Tons of prizes raffled off
- Great food from local vendors
- Hot deals!! (What’s the point in a swap if you can have it delivered to your door from the latest Ultra-Mega-Reef-Farm-Warehouse-Superstore for less?)
- A wonderful time!!
Attention all reefers north of Ventura County – Now you don’t have to drive 3 hours to attend a Swap!! Amenities:
- A warehouse with electrical outlets galore!
- Free Wi-Fi (PayPal!!)
- Plenty of free parking
We need your help!!
- We need some of the local growers/backyard hobbyists who are dedicated to promoting this hobby because they love it and want to share (you know who you are).
- Spread the word! This is the BEST way to stock your tank!
- F.R.A.G. 2008 is also open to commercial vendors. Visit the vendor sign up page for information on reserving a booth.
Dallas / Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society's Next Wave 2009, January 24, 2009
When: January 24, 2009, 9 AM - 5 PM
Where: Fort Worth Botanic Garden, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd., Ft. Worth, TX 76107 (map)
Admission: $25 until November 1
More Information: http://www.dfwmas.org/nextwave2009/registration.html
Everyone is encouraged to attend Next Wave 2009! -- Think of this conference as going to Reef Keeping College for a day. Four speakers are being flown in to instruct attendees on successful saltwater care. After each presentation, which will be in the form of slides, PowerPoint, or video, attendees can ask questions from the speakers about the subject being discussed. Don't miss your chance to gain knowledge that will last you a lifetime!
Speakers for this great event are:
- Bob Fenner- The pros and cons of hitchhikers in the reef aquarium
- Eric Borneman - The sustainablity of our hobby
- Bruce Carlson - Reef Life in the Solomon Islands, a video presentation
- Jake Adams - Water Flow is More Important Than Light
The day will end with our famous Raffle, and we are sure you won't want to miss that! Raffle tickets will be for sale during the lunch session and before the raffle.
We are accepting your reservations now. If you wait, the prices will increase as follows:
- October 1st to November 1st: $25
- November 1st to December 1st: $30
- December 1st to January 1st: $35
- January 1st to the event: $40
So register online now and save up to $15. Not enough to convince you to come? Here's pictures and info from Next Wave 2005! So register now!!!
Third Annual Mid-Michigan Marine Club Frag Swap, January 25, 2009
When: January 25, 2009
Where: Fraternal Order of the Eagles Hall, 4700 N Grand River Ave, Lansing, MI 48906 (map)
Any commercial vendors wishing to purchase table space can contact me so that we can start making table arrangements. Table pricing is going to be the same as last year.
Early registration (before Jan. 18, 2009) prices are as follows:
- $30 for full table ( Includes admission for 2 people)
- $15 for half table (includes admission for one attending seller. One person per half table, please)
- $10 selling (more than 7 frags, but less than 15 frags and not wanting a table...this is a good option if you just are dealing with pre-sold items)
Normal registration (after Jan. 18, 2009) prices are as follows:
- $35 for full table ( Includes admission for 2 people)
- $20 for half table (includes admission for one attending seller. One person per half table, please)
- $15 selling (more than 7 frags, but less than 15 frags and not wanting a table...this is a good option if you just are dealing with pre-sold items)
Non-seller entry fee: $5 ( bring in 7 or less frags ). non-Selling MMMC members and members of MASM and GRMAS FREE with proof of membership.
Marine Aquarium Expo, April 3-5, 2009
When: Friday, April 3 - Sunday, April 5; 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Where: OC Fair & Event Center, 88 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 (map)
Admission: $10 for Adults, $5 for Seniors, and FREE for Children 12 and under
Marine Aquarium Expo” (MAX), is southern California’s premier indoor consumer-tradeshow, bringing together manufacturers, retailers, and saltwater enthusiasts from all over the nation into one giant, centralized location. More than 100 booths fill 22,000 square feet of exhibitor floor space plus another 7,000 sq. ft. of covered courtyard to accommodate speakers, raffle drawings, Club booths, and various workshops. MAX is the perfect venue to see the latest innovative products and offerings as well as the most progressive enterprises in the marine aquarium business. MAX is a spectacular marketplace for selling/trading of livestock, equipment, supplies, and various other goods. Literally THOUSANDS of coral frags are available for sale from the dozens of livestock exhibitors attending Marine Aquarium Expo. We invite you to bring the entire family to see what the excitement is all about. MAX is an event that you do NOT want to miss!
- Two Full Days of festivities, trade, and entertainment! Do not miss this event!
- Giant Market of Manufacturers, Wholesalers, Retailers, Hobbyists and more!
- Livestock Dealers selling corals, frags, fish, invertebrates, and more
- Courtyard classes provides a wealth of entertainment and learning experiences
- Many booths, workshops, and educational displays represented by clubs and charities
- Huge Drawing both days with many, many, Major Prizes to WIN!
- Manufacturers showcasing the latest equipment, products and services available!
- Six Speakers from all over the United States come to demonstrate, educate, and inspire
MACNA XXI, September 25-27, 2009
The 21st Marine & Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA XXI) has been announced! Your destination city for this industry leading event is Atlantic City, NJ. This must attend event will be held September 25-27, 2009.
Join us for a weekend near the beautiful beaches of Atlantic City where the excitement never stops. September and NJ beaches are a winning combination. The weather is still warm and the water temperatures are perfect. If beaches aren't your thing, there is plenty of shopping, casinos, energizing spas, shows and concerts, endless nightlife, fine dining, boardwalk, golf, attractions, fishing, and water sports to keep you well entertained for the entire week after the show.
The convention hotel is the Sheraton, Atlantic City located at 2 Miss America Way and attached to the convention center via an enclosed walkway. Hotel rooms are being held under MACNA XXI for special convention rates of $139 with discounted parking (though if you're not coming in by car you don't need to rent one to get around town). These rates are greatly discounted from their normal weekend rates. Be sure to use the room block when reserving your room.
To make reservations, use the Sheraton Hotel Reservation System.