Online Courses: Fish Husbandry Being Offered by Marine Aquarist Courses
Marine Aquarist Courses Online (MACO), http://www.aquaristcourses.org/, is offering a course dealing with Fish Husbandry. The course is set to begin on April 7th. Registration is currently open and will close in early April. Join us now!
This class will introduce you into the world of marine fish husbandry, from basic biology and taxonomy, to principles and procedures used to insure that these animals live out long and healthy lives under your care. You'll learn how to select the proper equipment, and be guided on how to set up your system in a way that suits the fish that you've chosen and the environment that you would like to emulate. Most importantly, you'll learn to avoid all the mistakes that are so easily made when learning to keep these amazing animals. The class will cover the tendencies and idiosyncrasies of various families of marine fish, how they interact with each other, and how to keep them together without experiencing the problems that plague so many aquarists. You'll learn how to manage and avoid diseases that commonly infect and often kill so many captive marine fish. You'll learn what you must do, and as importantly, what you must not do in order to excel as a marine fish keeper.
- Introduction: Who are we? What are our goals as fish keepers? What obstacles do we face?
- Responsibilities of the Marine Aquarist: The life in our hands. Give something back.
- Basic Taxonomy: What is a fish? What is a Genus? What is a species? Why does it matter?
- Basic Biology: Basic Anatomy Do fish sleep? Hermaphroditism.
- Habitats: Where do our fish come from? Does it matter? What is a microhabitat? What is a biotope?
- Tank Selection & Setup: How big? Glass or Acrylic? Plywood? To skim or not to skim? What kind of filter? Do I need live rock? Lighting.
- Quarantine Procedure: What is quarantine? Why do I have to quarantine? Does quarantine stress the fish more than just placing it in my tank? Is it worth the extra expense?
- Stocking order & Compatibility: What do I introduce into my tank first, and why? Can I keep fish of the same species together? Can I keep fish X with fish Y? Aggression Management/Aggressive tanks.
- Disease management: Prevention and treatment of common fish diseases. Nutrition.
- Family Specific Discussions: Angelfish Triggerfish Groupers Wrasses, etc
- Species Specific Discussions: Open discussion on suitable species and compatibility What are the most desirable species for a reef?
- Fishes to avoid: Fishes that shouldn't be purchased, and maybe shouldn't even be available!
- Invert Compatibility: Can I keep this fish in my reef/this invert with my fish? Angels in the reef
- Nanos: What is a nano? What makes it different? What fish can I keep in my nano? Are nanos harder to keep?
How does MACO work?
MACO operates as a strictly online course. You are provided with access to the website that contains all of the material for your course. Each course has a private forum for its members providing direct access to your instructor for questions and discussions. There is a chat session each week to cover new material and ask questions. Each course is different, depending on the instructor and the material to be covered. This six week course is only $95 for lifetime access to the material. More specific details are available for the course on the website.
Give the gift of knowledge this year! Sign yourself or a friend up for a genuine Marine Aquarist Courses Online class!