Reefkeeping Events: What's Happening in Your Area?
Do you have an upcoming event?
If so, please email us at email@example.com and let us know about it!
West Tennessee Frag Swap and Aquarium Show, September 27
Come learn more about the marine reef and aquarium hobby. Admission is $3/person. Coral frags for sale or trade. Great raffle prizes! Frag Demo. Table space available for $15 (reserve in advance).
For more information, either call 901-359-2199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society Frag Swap, October 4
The SCMAS FragStock will take place on October 4th 2008 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Colorado Springs Colorado. This event will feature Marine Livestock (no Fish) and Dry Goods vendors from Colorado as well as national vendors from around the country. The event will take place in the Salon A Grand Ballroom and feature raffle items and amazing corals. Check back frequently as vendors are added to the list. We will also be listing the Raffle items on this site as well. Below is the event layout (subject to change) and some pictures of the Hotel. For more information or if you would like to be a vendor please send an email to Ldogg@thescmas.com.
Reef-A-Palooza (a Southern California Marine Aquarium Society event), October 11-12
When: October 11-12
Reef-A-Palooza (RAP) is an annual event promoted by the Southern California Marine Aquarium Society (SCMAS). Now in its fourth year, RAP can best be described as an indoor marketplace where sellers, exhibitors, and hobbyists of all types can buy, sell, trade, showcase their products to the marine hobbyist community. The main purpose of Reef-A-Palooza is to provide an enjoyable, positive atmosphere that is conducive to education and trade of both product and knowledge. As such, participating vendors range from large manufacturers, to retailers, to small livestock sellers, and participating hobbyists range from the beginner to the elite, rare-species coral farmer. It is the perfect venue to showcase new products in the marine aquarium industry as well as retail products for sale. We strive to rally a diverse range of participants into the one-day event so as to present the best value and interest to everyone involved. Considering our current bookings and the popularity of previous years, we expect 60+ vendors/exhibitors and well over 1,000 attendees this year!
Reef-A-Palooza provides the perfect venue for marine aquarium hobbyists to meet fellow enthusiasts, exchange information, and trade, and learn about new products. One of our main goals at Reef-A-Palooza, and within SCMAS, is to educate and enlighten the public with the latest knowledge in marine animal husbandry skills and environmental responsibility. For instance, SCMAS fully encourages the rapid advancement and allure of coral propagation as a viable alternative to wild harvest collection practices. As such, many of our booth vendors are local hobbyists who grow their own corals specifically to sell and trade at Reef-A-Palooza and similar events. SCMAS thoroughly encourages this type of “green commerce” for both the betterment and future of our hobby, as well as the resulting benefit to the marine environment.
Reef-A-Palooza is focused mainly to cater to the vendor and hobbyist, rather than as an educational conference. As such, we tend to attract customers who come specifically for the purpose of buying and seeing all the different exhibitor’s booths and displays. Nonetheless, speakers, raffle drawings, and other entertainment are provided to help keep people around for most of the day, even after seeing all the booths. In addition, our promotional and marketing efforts are nearly guaranteed to attract high participation and attendance rates, and hence, heavy foot-traffic throughout the building. RAP 2007 is going to be HUGE this year due to the popularity of its new venue (Orange County Fair & Exposition Center, Building #14) as well as the number of sellers, vendors, and manufacturers involved. We now have 18,000 square feet of indoor, climate-controlled space in which to make this event a resounding success. Now into its fourth year, Reef-A-Palooza has quickly gained the reputation as an event that is NOT to be missed!
New Jersey Reefers Club 2008 Fall Frag Swap & Symposium, October 25
When: October 25, 2008, 10 AM to 6 PM
Where: Crown Plaza Secaucus, 2 Harmon Plaza 07904, Secaucus, NJ (info, map)
Admission: Before October 1st: $25; After October 1st: $30; $40 at the door. 15 and under are free.
Schedule of Events:
- 9:00 - Vendor Setup
- 10:00 - Doors open
- 11:00 - Guest Speaker
- 12:00 - Lunch/Fragging Demo
- 1:30 - Guest Speaker
- 3:00 - Guest Speaker
- 4:30 - HUGE Raffles
- 6:00 - Cleanup
- Dana Riddle
- Charles Mazel
- Eric Borneman
Admission includes access to:
- Huge Raffles
- Drygoods vendors
- Livestock vendors
- NY Style Deli lunch buffet, snacks, soft drinks
Second Annual Oklahoma City Conference for Reef Aquarists and Saltwater Enthusiasts (CRASE), October 25
When: October 25, 2008, 10 AM to 6 PM
Where: University Central Oklahoma Conference Center
Admission: Adult tickets are $15 each for general admission, $25 with prepaid gourmet box lunch. Children are $10 each for general admission, $20 with prepaid gourmet box lunch.
After the fabulous success of CRASE 2007, Aquariums Tropical Fish Supply and the Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society are pleased to announce the second annual Oklahoma City Conference for Reef Aquarists and Saltwater Enthusiasts (CRASE). This will be a single day event and will comprise keynote lectures by distinguished speakers in the area of saltwater aquariums. In addition, the President of COMAS, Dr. Paul Whitby, will be discussing aquascaping. There will also be a hobbyist frag sale, vendor and trade displays as well as numerous door prizes.
The list of prizes is beginning to take shape, please remember to stop by and check as it grows. For now, here are a few of the door prizes we will have:
- Gift Certificates to Aquarium Oddballs
- Gift Certificates to Aquariums Tropical Fish Supply
- Gift Certificates to Zoanuts
- And the Grand Prize this year is: A complete 75gallon Reefready system. This comprises a 75g All Glass mega flow tank (Donated by Aquariums) a custom built Oak Stand and Canopy, 2 4 foot T5 lights, return pump, plumbing for the overflows and a sump. The stand and canopy are not stained so that you can match the system to your house decor. This prize is worth over $1,500.
Guest speakers will be:
- Dr. Ron Shimek: Firstly, it is with great pleasure that the organizers of CRASE wish to announce that --after a great deal of requests from COMAS members---Dr. Ron Shimek will be returning to CRASE. Dr. Shimek will be discussing invertebrates used as clean up crews, commonly available and some not so commonly available. His talk will encompass the pros- the cons- the dos and the don'ts.
- Adam Mangino: The second presenter is a new face to the CRASE. Adam Mangino is one of the ORA team and is primarily involved with their captive breeding program and in particular he is responsible for the hybridization to create the indigo dottyback. He will be talking on captive breeding of marine ornamentals.
- Dr. Sanjay Joshi: Also new to the CRASE is one of the most respected names in reef tank lighting. Dr. Sanjay Joshi has published numerous articles on spectral qualities of bulbs and the effect of various reflectors. It is fair to say the level of expertise he will be bringing to the CRASE is outstanding and I very much look forward to meting him. Dr. Joshi will be discussing various options in reef lighting with particular respect to both T5 and MH technology.
- Dr. Paul W. Whitby: Dr. Whitby is President of the Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society (COMAS) and has over 20 years experience as a saltwater hobbyist. Dr. Whitby will be discussing aquascaping techniques.
Marine Aquarium Expo, April 3-5, 2009
When: Friday, April 3 - Sunday, April 5; 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Where: OC Fair & Event Center, 88 Fair Drive, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 (map)
Admission: $10 for Adults, $5 for Seniors, and FREE for Children 12 and under
Marine Aquarium Expo” (MAX), is southern California’s premier indoor consumer-tradeshow, bringing together manufacturers, retailers, and saltwater enthusiasts from all over the nation into one giant, centralized location. More than 100 booths fill 22,000 square feet of exhibitor floor space plus another 7,000 sq. ft. of covered courtyard to accommodate speakers, raffle drawings, Club booths, and various workshops. MAX is the perfect venue to see the latest innovative products and offerings as well as the most progressive enterprises in the marine aquarium business. MAX is a spectacular marketplace for selling/trading of livestock, equipment, supplies, and various other goods. Literally THOUSANDS of coral frags are available for sale from the dozens of livestock exhibitors attending Marine Aquarium Expo. We invite you to bring the entire family to see what the excitement is all about. MAX is an event that you do NOT want to miss!
- Two Full Days of festivities, trade, and entertainment! Do not miss this event!
- Giant Market of Manufacturers, Wholesalers, Retailers, Hobbyists and more!
- Livestock Dealers selling corals, frags, fish, invertebrates, and more
- Courtyard classes provides a wealth of entertainment and learning experiences
- Many booths, workshops, and educational displays represented by clubs and charities
- Huge Drawing both days with many, many, Major Prizes to WIN!
- Manufacturers showcasing the latest equipment, products and services available!
- Six Speakers from all over the United States come to demonstrate, educate, and inspire