A new, vibrantly colored, toxic xanthid reef crab
The new crab is described in the latest publication of the European Journal of Taxonomy.
A public service announcement about xanthid crabs: Few reefkeepers know that these crabs are toxic ... in fact, very toxic. Their toxins are similar to the tetrodotoxin and saxitoxin produced by pufferfish (deadly stuff!), and the toxin has no antidote nor can it be denatured with heat (e.g. cooking). Xanthid crabs are common hitchhikers into reef aquariums. We recommend you dispose of them - and any reef life for that matter - carefully. Do not boil them (may aerosolize the toxin), and definitely don't eat them!