We love stories about fishkeepers going above and beyond for fish in distress. Emma is one such champion. Her ranchu goldfish, Conker, accidentally ate a 8mm pebble that got stuck in his throat. Try as he may, Conker couldn't spit out (or pass) the obstruction, which made it difficult for him to breathe and impossible for him to eat.
Emma rushed Conker to her local vet, Brisbane Bird and Exotics Veterinary Services. There, the good doctors anesthetized the goldfish and carefully extracted the pebble, saving Conker's life. The entire treatment (anesthesia, extraction, and overnight observation) cost Emma $500 AUS. That's a lot of money to save a goldfish. But as pet owners, we know the lives of our loved ones are priceless.
Live long and prosper, Conker.