Last day to register for the Marine Breeding Initiative Workshop before the price goes up
The Marine Breeding Initiative (MBI) is an organization and website created for the sole purpose of encouraging marine breeding among hobbyists and professionals. Breeding reports ranging from common clownfish to more exotic species are reported on the website, and other members can collectively learn from past breeding experiences of other successful members.
This year marks the second year that the MBI will hold a workshop on captive breeding called The Marine Breeding Initiative Workshop 2011. It will be held on July 23, 2011 at the Cranbrook Institute of Science in Bloomfield Hills, MI. Until midnight tonight, tickets are $20. After today, the price will go up to $30, and at the door on July 23 it will be $35.
There are a number of great speakers that will be sharing their knowledge at the event:
- Todd Gardner - Biologist at Atlantis Marine World in Riverhead, NY and a professor of Biology at Suffolk County Community College. Talk: "Rearing difficult marine species"
- Jay Hemdal - Curator of Fishes and Invertebrates, Toledo Zoo, Toledo, OH. Talk: "Captive Reproduction of the Boarfish (Capros aper)"
- Matt Pedersen - "Professional hobbyist" that has spawned 23 species of marine fish, successfully raising 9 of them including one world-wide first the Harlequin Filefish, Oxymonacanthus longirostris. Talk: "Breeding Room and Configuration"
- Randy Reed - CEO and CFO of Reed Mariculture, manufacturer of a number of excellent fish and larval foods and supplements. Talk: TBD
- Matthew Wittenrich, Ph.D. - Successfully raised over 56 species of marine fish and shrimp. His research focuses on the development of feeding abilities in early stage larvae of coral reef fishes. Talk: TBD
Attendees will have plenty of one-on-one time with the speakers and are encouraged to bring their questions and discuss their successes and failures during and after the event.
If you have not registered for the event, head over to their website and register today. You have until midnight before the price goes up!