Searching Advanced Aquarist from Off-Site using Firefox's DictionarySearch Extension
This howto will enable our members to be able to highlight a word on a webpage, right click on it, and select "Reefs.org search for 'word'" (or "Advanced Aquarist search for 'word') from the resulting popup box and then be presented with a search summary that keyword. This is very handy when you are surfing the web and see information you'd like to search our sites for and to be able to do it at the click of a button.
- Latest version of Mozilla Firefox
- Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP, Mac OS 10.1+, Linux
First off, you will will need to have the latest version of Firefox installed on their system. Firefox can be downloaded from Mozilla's website
After installation, install the DictionarySearch extension for Firefox. It can be downloaded from here
NOTE: Firefox blocks software installation by default. When installing, you will need to approve the installation before you can proceed. Here is how to enable this:
- Click on the install link for the DictionarySearch extension. If software installs are not allowed from the source site, a yellow notification bar will appear at the top of your screen.
- Click on the Edit Options button at the right of the yellow notifidcation bar. The Allowed Sites dialog box will open with the source site in the Address field.
- Click on the Allow button and click OK to add the source site to your Allowed Sites list.
- Click on the install link again and follow the installation instructions.
After installation, close and restart Firefox.
Now with your Firefox browser open, select TOOLS -> EXTENSIONS from your browser menu bar. A dialog window will open up. Scroll down until you find "DictionarySearch". Click on it and then click on the "Options" button.
Another dialog box will open. This dialog box is where you will enter your Plone site search information. Find a blank Dictionary area (for this example we'll use Dictionary 1).
- In the Text field enter:
AdvancedAquarist.com Search for "$"
- In the Access Key field, enter a capital letter for your specific access key.
- In the URL field enter:
Click the OK button and then close the Extensions box.
Now any time you're surfing and you want to search either of our sites for a specific word, highlight the word with your mouse, right click on it, and then select "AdvancedAquarist.com Search for 'word'" and the search will be instantly performed.